YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Ohhh, happy fucking dance... Jack Conte is FUCKED!!!!

Patreon kicked off yet another character. This time it was Owen Benjamin. So far, so good.

Until a few hundred of Owen Benjamin's patrons realised that while they had signed away their rights to redress in the form of a class action, they could under Californian law file for individual arbitration.

And Patreon would have to cough up USD$10,000.... for each individual case... in advance. A non-recoupable cost even if they win arbitration.

"Oh shit" they said. "We'd better sue them all and seek an injunction".

And the Californian justice system said..... "no you fucking don't."

Suck on a bowl of dicks Jack Conte. You get what you fucking deserve.

i support one patreon creator, but it's a product so when it is released in a few months it will automatically stop, i assume that is how it works when you support a game or album ect, the project is completed and the monthly payments end and the parteon page is no longer needed. now if they start delaying the thing for months and months, i will be annoyed.

Comment

Mmmm. I remember the discussion I had with Ceedub on the topic a few years ago now when they went after Sargon for telling a bunch of white supremacists years ago on YouTube that they were behaving like a bunch of niggers. Patreon had just started rocking their whole "Manifest Observable Behaviour" bullcrap, so when the white supremacists came crying to Jack Conte's team with transcripts of the *gasp* "N-WORD", Sargon was out of their faster than a curried arseburger leaving a cheetah's rectum. Closely followed by approximately one third of the patrons. I'm still not entirely clear what percentage of those were doing it out of principle and which were pissed at Patreon for hanging on to the monies in Sargon's account.

Ceedub's hot take was that any business has a right to supply or deny service to whomsoever they choose and as far as that goes, I tend to agree with her. But Patreon fucked up big time. Not only did they appropriate all the donations intended for Sargon, they actively went out and nuked Subscribestar off the net when all of the people they banned and/or disenfranchised showed up there. Not cool. You may decide who you provide service too, you may even change your TOS after the fact and start booting people off arbitrarily as Patreon was doing, but getting salty and nuking your competitor off their host because they are happy to serve the clients you kicked out? Feel free to ask Jersey Gurl how I feel about such practices.

Anyway, Patreon have been fucking themselves sideways ever since, not so long ago they threw out a massive advertising campaign claiming to be The Place for creators to get their moneys in a free and open area for creativity... as long as you did things their way both on their platform AND off it. And as recently as a month ago they sperged out with a boycott of Facebook and Instagram advertizing "because not woke enough" or some such bullshit.

Now they've pissed off the wrong bunch of people. I read earlier that the initial outlay just to face arbitration had the capacity to run into the millions and Conte is shitting like a big black alsatian at the preliminary bill. And it's not just Owen Benjamin's Bears that are sharpening their claws either, pretty much any patron who hasn't signed in to Patreon since their hasty repatching of the TOS can throw down their 250 US and demand arbitration... and with a laundry list of disgruntled donors who have been grumbling (in some cases for years) as Conte and Co waged their war to refashion the online creator contingent to their spec, there's gonna be a lot of people in Sillycunt Valley nervously dusting off their resumes and looking for any ship that's not doing the big ker-SPLASH that Patreon seems set to do.

Fuck 'em. That bunch of pious pretend moral guardians deserve to burn.

Comment

This ties in nicely as to what we were talking about before with the vannings. These big progressive states were all about "fuck the rich. fuck big business" and started passing all of these laws to protect the consumer, and now the SJW crowd is suddenly pro-big business because these big businesses are all kowtowing to the progressive narrative, those laws they wanted so badly may actually be the catalyst of taking these giants down a peg or two. I didn't support these assholes when they went into that bakeshop and demanded that the baker basically kowtow to a moral narrative and force them to do business against their constitutional right or face fines, nor do I support Patreon and jack thinking they can dictate how others live outside of the use of their services, either, but if you're offering a service with clear terms for their services, it should be treated like a legally-binding contract, and the one party who runs the service should never be able to alter it whenever they feel like it to whatever the hell they want if you want to end services wily nilly, then have it in your TOS, otherwise fuck off and stop being a coward.

Comment

It actually happens a lot more than you'd think. I don't use Patreon so I wouldn't know if this is the case, but it occurs to me if they are writing clauses limiting your avenues of legal redress then there's likely the clause in there where they get to shift the goalposts whenever and wherever the fuck they choose. Agni is like that. If you don't agree, you don't get in, simple as that.

Where Patreon comes unstuck with this arrangement is actually quite funny IMO. If you find yourself reading a TOS update you disagree with and you DON'T click that "I have read and agree to abide by these rules" checkbox.... well you aren't bound by the new agreement and are still subject to the old. They can boilerplate whatever they like on to it after the fact, in the eyes of the law the old contract is binding right up to the point you accept the new. I wonder why they didn't pull The Retard Farm's stunt and make the users responsible of keeping up with the rules and hiding it in a thread where nobody ever bothered looking... probably that kind of clause isn't worth the bandwidth it's hosted on.

Maybe that's why THE MOR0N got the fuck out of Dodge when he did. Not that it would save him from getting his arse kicked in a court of law if he didn't keep a true and accurate backup of his site should the FBI ever require it of him - they tend to take a dim view of people who delete evidence the spooks might later decide they wanted to take a look at.

...and somewhere a roided up trannie wipes away a bead of sweat as his microscopic gumnut shrivels even further back into his abdomen.

Comment

patreon has been down all day, it's been going down a lot lately.

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about expensive exercise bikes.

As far as THE MORON goes, I'm pretty sure his biggest concern was about potential copyright infringement claims, since accepting add revenue made his site a commercial entity.
              <a href=https://i.imgur.com/qyqyl35.jpg target=_blank>https://i.imgur.com/qyqyl35.jpg</a>

Comment

Copyright? Was Caskur threatening to sure him for the rest of us photoshopping her likeness into swamp beasts or something?

I hope he paid his tax bill.

Originally posted by Regina George View Post
                patreon has been down all day, it's been going down a lot lately.
                Someone should tell Jack to fix his fucking site.

Comment

THE MORON posted more than once regarding copyright concerns. I think he made a 'new rule' about attributing sources and providing commentary when reposting content copied directly from other sites. He used TWAP's posting 'style' and an example of potential risk. I remember TWAP's (rather snotty) response being "Google does it!".
                  <a href=https://i.imgur.com/qyqyl35.jpg target=_blank>https://i.imgur.com/qyqyl35.jpg</a>

Comment

Originally posted by cw_ View Post
                    THE MORON posted more than once regarding copyright concerns. I think he made a 'new rule' about attributing sources and providing commentary when reposting content copied directly from other sites. He used TWAP's posting 'style' and an example of potential risk. I remember TWAP's (rather snotty) response being "Google does it!".
                    Goddamn... so he was making a genuine bona fide attempt to fix his fucking site after all.

And Failed. Farted out.

Still doesn't explain why the blog that superseded it went bangfalldown. Or whimperwhoopswheresmythribble as the case may be.

Comment

Working...
                    X