Raspberry Pi RetroPie.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi RetroPie.

Unless you've been living under a rock or just aren't very technically inclined, you've probably heard of this gizmo. It's a single board computer that has lots of uses, one of which is one dear to my heart: a portable (or not) emulation system that can pretty much fit every classic game you can think of (one 8 gig USB stick will do just fine). I'm seriously considering buying a few and making a personal gaming system and maybe even a few from-scratch apps for sale later on when I've figured out the scant coding requirements to do so. Check out the potential for retro gaming at Retro Pie.

The video below is a bit advanced in terms of hardware, but it's also cooler than most tutorials since it's a freaking Altoids tin.

Anyone here have any experience with these little wonders?

And for those more musically-inclined: Turn your Raspberry Pi into the Ultimate Music Streamer.

Comment

Why don't I have at least one of these yet? I enjoy tinkering with tech. I guess I was waiting for a 3rd iteration, and forgot about it.
      Here's an older link to some more use ideas. https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/25-fu...-raspberry-pi/

Comment

I don't have one of those but I love my lenovo think stick... plugs into any hdmi port on a monitor or tv.. bluetooth, wifi, couple gigs of RAM, USB and a micro SD slot... controllable by my mobile phone. No microphone... no camera... runs a dedicated VPN and Kodi.

Can be taken anywhere..

(Dunno about games worthyness... I hate video games unless it has poker or snowboarding)...

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
          I don't have one of those but I love my lenovo think stick... plugs into any hdmi port on a monitor or tv.. bluetooth, wifi, couple gigs of RAM, USB and a micro SD slot... controllable by my mobile phone. No microphone... no camera... runs a dedicated VPN and Kodi.

Can be taken anywhere..
          Still, nice.

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
          (Dunno about games worthyness... I hate video games unless it has poker or snowboarding)...
          What a fun kid you musta been. Seriously though, I've been considering things I'd want to take with me if/when I take a long break from the net in the near-ish future, which might happen if things go according to plan. Childhood nostalgia is definitely high on the list, especially if a little Bonesaw comes along and I don't want them tainted by the bells and whistles of them flashy X-StationOnes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesaw View Post

Still, nice.

What a fun kid you musta been. Seriously though, I've been considering things I'd want to take with me if/when I take a long break from the net in the near-ish future, which might happen if things go according to plan. Childhood nostalgia is definitely high on the list, especially if a little Bonesaw comes along and I don't want them tainted by the bells and whistles of them flashy X-StationOnes.
            I mostly fished on a daily basis, camped once or twice a month, and pursued odd merit badges like Atomic Energy when I wasn't enduring voluntary starvation in the OftA... when others were spending their summers fiddling with Super Nintendo's or Sega's...

At 15 I took off... flew back across the country for a summertime job... good times...

...games, not so much...

Comment

I gamed more than fished at that age even though we had a roaring brook not 500 yards from the front door, but I'm getting back into it now that I live in an area where it's considered one of the more attractive hobbies. Collecting some tackle at the moment, will have to consider buying some cheap fishing poles though since I'm broke. Anything will do, it's just a stick with something wiggly at the end when all's said and done, and there's no way I'd pay a hundred bucks for one even if I had it to waste.

Comment

This looks like the sort of thing I might want if I felt like resurrecting some of my old DOS games. How well does it fare with things like Doom2, Duke Nukem, Carmageddon, CnC et al?

Comment

Originally posted by 30-odd lbs of Crunt View Post
                  This looks like the sort of thing I might want if I felt like resurrecting some of my old DOS games. How well does it fare with things like Doom2, Duke Nukem, Carmageddon, CnC et al?
                  Considering the specs can easily and speedily handle the original Playstation, it should be able to handle anything older than that just fine. One such piece of evidence would be its ability to run DOSBox, the DOS emulator for Windows (which I have but never used much). It shows Quake here, but Doom ran at about the same performance.

Comment

Get this controller:

Wireless Bluetooth Classic 8Bitdo NES30 Pro Game Controller

Comment

Working...
                    X