Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What I think of Flea as a person and a poster in Flametown...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I think of Flea as a person and a poster in Flametown...

She's a unique and often divisive commodity steeped in fat lames, ethnic jibes, dental mishaps, and mestizo religious black magic practices...

Few could disagree if put on the honest back foot but how often does that actually shake out in Flametown?

We've got an accused Asian American mixed blood from Florida running another flametown website and purported to be a provocative legal mind in real life who likes to parachute drop-bear into "10+ Countries in 30 Days" on the European tourist trail while taking Gangnam Style snaps of monuments from street crossings and dragging his bottom across tulip fields and douching the pollen away along Fjord boardwalk trails when the Fuji lensed tour groups' eyes are distracted by rocks, eye slit piercing bright lights, and shiny stuff. SSS (SirSuperSouthern) is another off character; a man with more lacerations on his head and illicit substances in his bloodstream than a Guy Ritchie 90's character if he was written by James A Michener on magic mushies at a chic LA salt water Flotation clinic with sharp un-ground edges along the seams of the tank. And what about Caskur? Does anyone still remember Caskur? The queen of Western Australian culinary suicide and self exiled shit-talking biddy still using Foxmulder to air her Galah dropping encrusted laundry from the PI clothesline and grapevine?

What do any of these people have in common with Flea?

Heaps...

They've all picked a theme for their monikers and stuck by it through hell and high water. Are they right in the head all of the time or even some of it? Who knows... but what they do have in spades is the ability to play a role, whether liked or despised, and remain current in our lexicon of players.

Nothing shakes out as one would expect in Flametown. I've had the great fortune to have a yak with Flea and many others on the scene over the last 15 or so years. Some of them became unlikely friends, some interesting footnotes, and despite the back-drop of what we all do for a larf and hobby, all of the conversations were a plus and not a minus... at least to me.

Flea has an infectious laugh and keen understanding of what drama eventually does when someone is unwilling to put down the fronting and start acting human with another. Does that mean one necessarily agree with the angles or approach of the other? Hell no. There are places Flea has gone on the boards I find completely unimaginable, even as a reformed PI sleuth and drama inducer myself. Though when chatting with her, I got an entirely new perspective about the person behind the name Flea. She works hard... has worked hard... takes chances, raised a family, did some hard stints in real life, and isn't anywhere on the same level as a Serafina or a Flu (if anyone can still remember wickedkewl or Flame4cash)...

I've gotten the same sort of experience with interacting with Feral over the years. She is a bloody mega mum and has raised her children right (they're not here, after all... lol).

I've spoken with Kooch recently and was marveled by his memory of bygone days even during an obvious WA bender. Very entertaining and enduring... to me.

Once in awhile I catch up with sum C'unt, a man who has no instance of hate in his blessed heart, and should be applauded for countering the accusations against him made by one other with a cheeky online smile.

(Yes, I'm sort of rambling... I know... I've had drinks.)

If you take anything away from this; it should be that we're here to harm with words but that doesn't mean that all of us are deranged psychos offline. Well, maybe Tumbleweed (Wet Willy/Hoot). Don't even get me started about that guy. He's close to permanent retirement age and can't work out which side of the Canadian/American border he lives on from one month to the next. Be wary of that gray haired and cask wine swilling fucker... :)

Tel us how you really feel. No holding back this time.

Comment

Originally posted by The Wise and Powerful View Post
      Tel us how you really feel. No holding back this time.
      I would but you're of the baby boomer generation who rushed out of class to dance in mud instead of work out existence early on...

Comment

To TWAP ... where is the KOF forum? The crap going on at TRF is reason alone for the KOF to ride in and get some traffic too. Are you folks too old to be mean? If I were a Knight I'd suggest we move in an destroy TRF and fight for traffic.

Good read, Mr Goyle. I know more about you now than ever before and we spent years together at BH without ever PMing.

I don't need to know flea or any of you as a person. Nothing personal, just a preference of mine. I'm not the only one.

As a poster ... I view flea as a caskur lite but there is a need for posters like that. Maybe I'm being a tad "pompous" but there are certain posters I don't read for their flames ... I'm looking for flames directed at them. Those posters that won't roll over and cry uncle are needed. Effort is enough to make me jump on their side when they get dogpiled. It's the old admin in me.

Posters like caskur, brent and flea put in effort and get my respect. Are they the best reads? No, but they will give you something more to reply to than "fag and tranny, yes" ... is that crap too difficult to dumpster?

Comment

I do beg your pardon, but more than once I've watched Brent dump an entire line of argument unread and dance about claiming a win for doing so. Not entirely sure how you feel this is superior effort to "fag and tranny, yes", it occurs to me that the two are about as limp and lame as each other.

Comment

Originally posted by ‾ | _ View Post
            I do beg your pardon, but more than once I've watched Brent dump an entire line of argument unread and dance about claiming a win for doing so. Not entirely sure how you feel this is superior effort to "fag and tranny, yes", it occurs to me that the two are about as limp and lame as each other.
            That is something anyone can flame him for. It's a valid flame/troll option to ignore ownage.

So many poster suck ... I hate to throw Brent in the same category. If you just post all gay lames. tranny lames, etc ... you're playing it way safer than brent.

The only reason I don't flame him is because he's got everyone else on his ass. Same reason I don't flame flea. Not a fan of dogpiling.

Comment

Originally posted by H.C.Trouble View Post
              To TWAP ... where is the KOF forum?
              http://ootikof.net/forum/index.php

Comment

It's a valid flame/troll option to ignore ownage.
                So is saying "heh, good one", though it seems to have fallen out of vogue since the focus shifted from having fun to wiping out your opponent. There was a time when such a response was a standard nod of the head to a flame well executed and a precursor to an attempt to go one better. What happened to that?

So many poster suck ... I hate to throw Brent in the same category. If you just post all gay lames. tranny lames, etc ... you're playing it way safer than brent.
                If by gay lames you mean the one liners Johnny is famous for repeating ad infinitum then I agree wholeheartedly. Fact is when I got started it was common to encounter multiple paragraph posts full of ridiculously funny homoerotic prose in flame forums because that is what flaming was (hint: the key is in the name). What you walked in on at Brawl-Hall was not in it's truest sense "flaming", though it didn't stop people like Danger trying to cast it as such since BH's style of exchange had a name among the flaming community too... and that name was "hating".

Of course promoting yourself as a Hate Forum isn't the most palatable solution if you're also about attempting to market yourselves as being fair, reasonable and a cut above those people who find humour in getting bagged out by wordy buggers who could ladle out N-Sync and Richard Simmonds references by the paragraph full, reference the more lurid aspects of your nipple tassel collection or describe in intimate detail what you did with monkey testicles in your spare time. Flaming was rebranded as gaylaming and subsequently appropriated as a catch-all for debate and roasts which focused increasingly more on being a vehicle for the Dangers of this would to bring their opponents to heel rather than to entertain; in short, bringing what F4$ described as "hating" into the flaming fold.

People who could entertain as F4$ did were few and far between and these days are even fewer. We can lay a large portion of the blame for that squarely at the door of those who came after who wanted to be included in it irrespective of how ill-equipped they might have been. And when you have very visible examples of websites that are about growing their members lists where even an F-minus dropout can "be a flamer too" it's easy to predict where the road is going to take you.

The only reason I don't flame him is because he's got everyone else on his ass. Same reason I don't flame flea. Not a fan of dogpiling.
                Dogpiling is a tactic for the weak and despite all appearances I do try to avoid it. But I will eventually respond if someone is giving me shit irrespective of who else happens to be giving them a hard time at that point. Flea was doing just that for fully four months last year before I started backhanding her. That's not "dogpiling" in my books, that's responding to a genuine bona fide challenge.

Same holds true for Brent. You don't get to behave like a cunt to all and sundry and cry foul when the body blows start breaking bones. Too many of these people that you find at the bottom of these "dogpiles" are expecting their friends to leap in and even the odds and that is weak sauce too. I didn't get into this thing called flaming to play team sports, nor to be part of some unruly mob that roams forums savaging the weak and stupid; I got into this game for a chance to go one on one against people who could make me laugh and who I could return the favour in kind. Within five years of it I was finding myself at the bottom of my very own dogpiles of entire sites of people who had ideas that were vastly at odds with mine. Over a decade later and I'm still standing, casting a jaundiced eye over what's left, shaking my head and wondering that if only I'd worked the "YES" in my BH sig a little more diligently we might not have retained some of the initial momentum that made this Flame game so worthwhile to those of us better equipped to keep it fresh and interesting.

Is that too bleak an outlook? Maybe, but there's a little phoenix in my present tab reminding me that rebirth is indeed possible and if Flame Truth represents anything to me then it's the chance to take that old F4$ ideal of mutual entertainment and see if it can't sprout again. Team Dogpile isn't doing it for me, I'm not interested in bling under my nick or who can pad out the most threads they've authored to 100 posts.or better on the back of what they stuffed down their neck for breakfast and single line gaylames. I'm certainly not looking for endless rewrites of WWE storylines that I can find plenty of elsewhere.

I suspect that a good many tons of crap needs to be pitchforked up the hill to get things back to what I walked in on. That's okay, I don't mind waiting a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ‾ | _ View Post
                  So is saying "heh, good one", though it seems to have fallen out of vogue since the focus shifted from having fun to wiping out your opponent. There was a time when such a response was a standard nod of the head to a flame well executed and a precursor to an attempt to go one better. What happened to that?

If by gay lames you mean the one liners Johnny is famous for repeating ad infinitum then I agree wholeheartedly. Fact is when I got started it was common to encounter multiple paragraph posts full of ridiculously funny homoerotic prose in flame forums because that is what flaming was (hint: the key is in the name). What you walked in on at Brawl-Hall was not in it's truest sense "flaming", though it didn't stop people like Danger trying to cast it as such since BH's style of exchange had a name among the flaming community too... and that name was "hating".

Of course promoting yourself as a Hate Forum isn't the most palatable solution if you're also about attempting to market yourselves as being fair, reasonable and a cut above those people who find humour in getting bagged out by wordy buggers who could ladle out N-Sync and Richard Simmonds references by the paragraph full, reference the more lurid aspects of your nipple tassel collection or describe in intimate detail what you did with monkey testicles in your spare time. Flaming was rebranded as gaylaming and subsequently appropriated as a catch-all for debate and roasts which focused increasingly more on being a vehicle for the Dangers of this would to bring their opponents to heel rather than to entertain; in short, bringing what F4$ described as "hating" into the flaming fold.

People who could entertain as F4$ did were few and far between and these days are even fewer. We can lay a large portion of the blame for that squarely at the door of those who came after who wanted to be included in it irrespective of how ill-equipped they might have been. And when you have very visible examples of websites that are about growing their members lists where even an F-minus dropout can "be a flamer too" it's easy to predict where the road is going to take you.

Dogpiling is a tactic for the weak and despite all appearances I do try to avoid it. But I will eventually respond if someone is giving me shit irrespective of who else happens to be giving them a hard time at that point. Flea was doing just that for fully four months last year before I started backhanding her. That's not "dogpiling" in my books, that's responding to a genuine bona fide challenge.

Same holds true for Brent. You don't get to behave like a cunt to all and sundry and cry foul when the body blows start breaking bones. Too many of these people that you find at the bottom of these "dogpiles" are expecting their friends to leap in and even the odds and that is weak sauce too. I didn't get into this thing called flaming to play team sports, nor to be part of some unruly mob that roams forums savaging the weak and stupid; I got into this game for a chance to go one on one against people who could make me laugh and who I could return the favour in kind. Within five years of it I was finding myself at the bottom of my very own dogpiles of entire sites of people who had ideas that were vastly at odds with mine. Over a decade later and I'm still standing, casting a jaundiced eye over what's left, shaking my head and wondering that if only I'd worked the "YES" in my BH sig a little more diligently we might not have retained some of the initial momentum that made this Flame game so worthwhile to those of us better equipped to keep it fresh and interesting.

Is that too bleak an outlook? Maybe, but there's a little phoenix in my present tab reminding me that rebirth is indeed possible and if Flame Truth represents anything to me then it's the chance to take that old F4$ ideal of mutual entertainment and see if it can't sprout again. Team Dogpile isn't doing it for me, I'm not interested in bling under my nick or who can pad out the most threads they've authored to 100 posts.or better on the back of what they stuffed down their neck for breakfast and single line gaylames. I'm certainly not looking for endless rewrites of WWE storylines that I can find plenty of elsewhere.

I suspect that a good many tons of crap needs to be pitchforked up the hill to get things back to what I walked in on. That's okay, I don't mind waiting a bit.
                  /BOOM!!!

:)

Comment

Posters like caskur, brent and flea put in effort and get my respect. Are they the best reads? No, but they will give you something more to reply to than "fag and tranny, yes" ... is that crap too difficult to dumpster?

I tend to ignore lousy posters. Replying just leads to them typing something that merely insults themselves. Better posters give far more to respond to, without that dead end problem.

Comment

Damn, basically all I said that I don't mind tards ... I should have added, "If they are well moderated."

So much great material came at the expense of tards.

I read your post Sum but it seems you have mistaken me for Bra1n.
                      Last edited by Navin R Johnson; 06-20-2017, 08:38 PM. Reason: testing

Comment

I don't see why you would think that.

Comment

Cans

Comment

Lord, I agree with everything you say but still want to argue with you because you quoted my post, but I won't do it.

At this point, all a flame site can do is to encourage an older, dwindling, user base to do better. Post like you did in the old days, even though there is often nobody to post to. Flame is a tough draw. It's even tougher and more intimidating here at FT. Unless there is some plan to find new quality posters we're going to be flaming each other for fun. I'll get ready for all the great strap on jokes.

Holding posters to a higher standard is a realistic goal and wise. If a caskur shows up and posts is she going to be given a short leash?

Comment

Hypothetically? I would hope that Caskur would be subject to the same considerations we all are, namely that just like the rest of us she would be given as much free rein to self-moderate and to contribute in any manner she might towards the betterment of Flame Truth the site. I doubt she will be availing herself of that opportunity any time soon though, unlike SirSuperSouthern's example Caskur has a habit of digging her heels in when confronted with anything she disagrees with and will often actively seek out ways to fuck things up to get at one person and be damned whoever else gets caught in the crossfire. She's been behaving that way for decades now and it is perhaps unreasonable to expect she is going to change that modus operandi any time soon.

She disagrees with me, that much is safe to say. I imagine that if she were privy to this discussion she would be the first to tell you that it would be a cold day in Hell before she contributed to any site I had a hand in running, which is somewhat ironic when you consider the kinds of people she does hang out with have done far more to put her real life affairs at risk than I ever did or would ever do. Facilitating more direct examples of any honourable or altruistic behaviour from my quarter is not something she is comfortable with, not after the drubbings I have dished out her way over the years; given that and the kind of personality she is, she would much rather invest her time in wrecking the applecart for all concerned here in an attempt to "get at" me instead. If you think that sounds a little melodramatic, you might take a look at the towering rage-fuelled hatred she fostered in Flea where I was concerned... because eighteen months ago Flea and I were tight, after a month of Caskur working Flea's trust issues... not so much.

I'm not complaining, I've nearly five decades of experience in making what I'm dealt work for me and Caskur's bargaining chip of her presence or absence from this site is inconsequential from where I sit. As for "flaming each other for fun"... well that's the environment I found when S|n|ster invited me to check out Flame4Cash back in the day. An altogether much more sustainable prospect than finding your pleasure in destroying other members' pleasure in the pursuit of the same and I would be delighted to see a return to such a mutually inclusive style of flame-based entertainment here. This more than anything leads me to suspect that Caskur is not a good fit for Flame Truth, however that doesn't preclude my attitude of affording her and everyone else as many chances as they feel like to either get it right or give up in the attempt.

And just so you know, I apply that same standard to me. Maybe that's why Ceedub took a punt on me for admin here, I dunno.

Comment

Working...
                              X